Sarath Fonseka to form opposition alliance on Oct. 18
Former Army Commander Sarath Fonseka said yesterday that he would form a ‘united opposition alliance’ in the hope of unseating the government soon. The alliance’s inaugural rally will be held in Colombo on October 18.
UNP MPs Palitha Range Bandara, Palitha Thewarapperuma, Dayasiri Jayasekara and Provincial Council members Shiral Laktilake and Maithri Gunatilake have already decided to join this opposition alliance. Former Chief Justice Sarath N. Silva and eminent Buddhist monk Ven. Maduluvawe Sobhitha Thera are also in the alliance.
Mr. Fonseka told the Daily Mirror in an interview that he could not wait till another general election is declared to defeat this government.
He said the country’s economy had declined today to the lowest level and that the people had lost faith in the judicial procedures.
“We have realized today that there is a corrupt government run by a corrupt ruler. It is like a tyrannical regime. The country’s economy is going down. Corruption is rampant. It has never been like that. There is no justice in the country. Likewise, education and health sectors are collapsing. The business community is complaining. They have to give bribes and ransom to get things done. Therefore, we cannot wait till another general election is declared to unseat this government. We have to throw out the government as fast as possible,” he said.
He said he would not talk about the leader of this alliance to avoid what he called ‘unnecessary problems’.
He also said he had applied for the registration of a political party for himself.
Courtesy: DM Online
- Sri Lanka appointed Special parliamentary committee to probe New Diamond, X-Press Pearl disasters June 6, 2023
- Cabinet approves proposal to reduce Maximum Retail Prices of 60 types of medicine June 6, 2023
- Two officers of Agrarian Service Centre arrested for soliciting a bribe June 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
- India’s first international cruise from Chennai to Sri Lanka to be flagged off today June 5, 2023
- ‘Sandahiru Seya Charity Trust’ donates Dialysis Machine to Anuradhapura Hospital June 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023
Battle start again………….Sri lankan politicians never learning peacefull politics always attacking each others.
No Weere, There will be a very,very long delay for the battle to start again.Majority of the Sri Lankans are wise enough to avoid mean and hungry looking men ( like Cassius in Julius CAESAR).This man does not seem to believe in the fundamentals of democracy,trying to overthrow a duly elected government by a bloody revolution?Ranil and other level headed men in the UNP will sure not fall a prey for the second time to this power hungry man with a mission to take revenge from the Rajapaksa family.