Several roads blocked in Colombo due to protests
The vehicle movement on Lotus Road has been blocked due to a protest march by several professional trade unions, the police said.
A group of professionals including university lecturers, bank employees and doctors are currently protesting at two locations in Colombo.
They have organised this protest based on several demands, including the removal of new taxes imposed on the salaries of professionals.
The police have closed Galle Road for traffic at the Lotus Roundabout in Colombo.
Meanwhile, Independence Avenue in Colombo has also been blocked near the Nelum Pokuna Theatre.
Accordingly, motorists are urged to use alternative routes for the time being.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Countrywide power outage in Sri Lanka due to a system failure December 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka to implement another electricity tariff revision in January 2024 December 9, 2023
- ‘Kush’ worth Rs. 100 Million seized in luggage left behind at Bandaranaike International Airport December 9, 2023
- Air Arabia launches direct flights to Sri Lanka from Abu Dhabi December 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy promotes 1,877 personnel on its 73rd anniversary December 9, 2023