Six persons sentenced to death over a murder 22 years ago
Six persons were sentenced to death after they were convicted of murdering five people in year 2000.
Six individuals were found guilty of shooting and killing five persons opposite the Devundara Devalaya on November 14, 2000 (22 years ago).
A total of 15 suspects were arrested over the killings while five of them were acquitted and released. Another four suspects had passed away during the long trial.
The convicted killers are all residents from Devinuwara (Devundara).
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023