Special investigation team records statement from Mahindananda
The special investigation team of the Ministry of Sports is recording a statement from former Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage on his comment with regard to the alleged ‘match-fixing’ at the 2011 World Cup final.
The investigators had arrived at the former Minister’s residence in Nawalapitiya at around 6.00 am this morning (24).
Upon receipt of instructions from Minister of Sports Dullus Alahapperuma, the Secretary to the Ministry of Sports recently called for an immediate probe into the allegations made by Aluthgamage.
Mahindananda recently made a controversial statement, claiming that he does not accept Sri Lanka’s defeat in the 2011 World Cup (final) as a defeat. “According to the information I have received I believe that it was match-fixing,” he had said further, speaking on his startling revelation.
On April 2, 2011, India beat Sri Lanka by six wickets to win the ICC World Cup final at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai. During a televised interview recently, Aluthgamage claimed that the final was fixed. However, he said he was ready to take full responsibility for his comments.
(Source: Ada Derana)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023