Sri Lanka and Pakistan agree to enhance defense cooperation
Pakistan Air Force chief Air Chief Marshal Tahir Rafique Butt called on Secretary of Defence Gotabaya Rajapaksa at the Defence Secretariat in Colombo this morning (August 29) and discussed ways to strengthen defense cooperation between the two countries.
During the meeting, a cordial discussion was held between Secretary Defence and Air Chief Marshal Butt on matters of bilateral cooperation and mutual interest. Mementoes were also exchanged between Secretary Defence and Pakistan’s Air Chief to mark the occasion. Commander of the Sri Lankan Air Force Air Marshal Kolitha Gunathilake, Air Commodore Hamid Rashid Randhawa and Defence Attaché of Pakistan in Sri Lanka Col Muhammad Rajil Irshad Khan were also present at the occasion.
The Pakistani Air Chief, who is on a three-day official visit to Sri Lanka, also met his Sri Lankan counterpart, Air Marshal Kolitha Gunathilake. During the meeting it was agreed to enhance the cooperation between the two Air Forces and new dimensions be given to already existing friendly relations. Air Chief Marshal Tahir Butt also assured his counterpart of sustained support and cooperation in the fields of technical training and professional expertise.
In a subsequent development Air Chief Marshal Butt also held meetings on matters of professional interests with Commander Sri Lankan Army Lt. General Daya Ratnayake and Commander Sri Lankan Navy Vice Admiral Jayantha Perera at their respective services headquarters.
Submitted by: Janaka Alahapperuma
Source: Pakistan High Commission- Colombo
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka lacks commitment and discipline – Murali December 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka President Ranil Wickremesinghe meets Bill Gates December 3, 2023
- Indian envoy visits Sri Lanka’s north, underscores India’s commitment to country December 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka President at COP28 urges bold action in the face of alarming climate predictions December 2, 2023
- Diana Gamage, Sujith Perera and Rohana Bandara banned from Parliament December 2, 2023