Sri Lanka Customs still on strike
The trade union action launched by customs officials continues to take place today as well. Trade unions point out that the action will continue until they receive an appropriate solution.
The Alliance launched a work-to-rule trade union action on Wednesday afternoon to voice their opposition to replacing the Customs Director General P. S. M. Charles with a retired navy commander.
Meanwhile the Finance Ministry announced yesterday that H. G. Sumanasinghe, an additional secretary at the Finance Ministry, had been appointed as the acting director general.
However, Customs trade unions have rejected this move as well and have stated that they do not accept the appointment as it is illegal.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023
- October sees 20% decline in apparel exports from Sri Lanka November 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka approves Sinopec’s $4.5 billion refinery proposal November 28, 2023
- Tamil Nadu government failed to understand the problem in Sri Lanka: Murali November 27, 2023
- Harin appointed Sports Minister, Pavithra appointed Irrigation Minister November 27, 2023