Sri Lanka President Ranil Wickremesinghe attends Commonwealth Leaders’ meeting
Sri Lanka President Ranil Wickremesinghe who is in London attended the Commonwealth Leaders’ meeting on Friday (May 05) with the presence of King Charles III.
During the event, President Ranil Wickremesinghe extended his congratulations to King Charles III and engaged in a cordial conversation. Professor Maithree Wickremesinghe was also in attendance.
During the gathering, President Wickremesinghe emphasized the importance of the Commonwealth playing a more significant role in supporting education reforms that encourage youth involvement.
He also called on the Commonwealth to bolster connectivity through digitization.
In addition to this, President Wickremesinghe held a bilateral meeting with H.E. Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, President of the Republic of Ghana, to discuss ways of strengthening relations between their countries.
Meanwhile, Prof. Maithree Wickremesinghe participated in the Fireside Chat program, which was organized as a parallel event to the Leaders Meeting.
The Fireside Chat program provided a platform for discussions on various topics and issues related to the Commonwealth and its members.
President Ranil Wickremesinghe also met with Rwandan President Paul Kagame in London to discuss potential areas of cooperation between their countries.
The meeting was held on Friday (May 05), and both presidents expressed their interest in exploring opportunities for collaboration, particularly in the agriculture and healthcare sectors.
President Ranil Wickremesinghe proposed an exchange of visits by relevant ministers, which would enable officials from both countries to explore potential avenues for cooperation.
The two leaders also discussed the possibility of further military cooperation, with President Wickremesinghe offering to provide training by Sri Lanka’s defence forces for rapid responses to natural disasters.
The meeting was attended by Sri Lanka’s High Commissioner to London, Ms. Saroja Sirisena, and the President’s Director of International Affairs, Mr. Dinouk Colombage.
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to implement strict law enforcement against religious disharmony May 30, 2023
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023