Sri Lankan Navy arrests 30 more Indian fishermen
– Submitted by Walter Jayawardhana –
Sri Lankan Navy has arrested 30 more Indian fishermen for allegedly poaching in the country’s waters, taking the total number of those captured to 56 in the last two days.
After the arrest of 26 Indian fishermen and seizing six trawlers on Friday, another batch of 30 Indian fishermen have been arrested and their six trawlers seized by the Sri Lanka Navy on Saturday night, officials said Sunday.
Sri Lankan Navy spokesman Commander Kosala Warnakulasuriya said that the 30 Indian fishermen and their trawlers were nabbed on Saturday night off Talaimannar in Jaffna peninsula for entering Sri Lankan waters.
They will be handed over to the Talaimannar police.
Meanwhile, the Sri Lankan Navy said that the 26 fishermen arrested on Friday have been ordered to be detained until April 11 by the Point Pedro magistrate’s court.
(Courtesy the Hindu)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- IMF Team to conduct second review of Sri Lanka’s EFF program in March 2024 February 28, 2024
- Sri Lanka’s education ministry halts outdoor school activities due to heat February 28, 2024
- Santhan, released convict in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, dies due to illness February 28, 2024
- Suspect wanted over Mahabage shooting killed in clash with STF February 28, 2024
- Ronnie de Mel passes away February 27, 2024