Sri Lankans transferred to detention on Nauru
A group of 25 Sri Lankan asylum seekers have been transferred from Darwin to the detention centre on Nauru, the Australian Immigration Department says.
The group is the latest to be sent to Nauru as part of the Federal Government’s offshore processing policy.
Most have been flown from Christmas Island to Nauru, but some have also been taken from detention in Darwin.
The Department says transfers to Nauru will happen regularly as part of the Government’s new policy.
The transfer comes after another asylum seeker boat was intercepted west of Christmas Island with 11 people on board yesterday afternoon.
The group will be sent to Christmas Island for health, security and identity checks.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Nadeesha Dilhani Lekamge wins Asian Games athletics medal after 17 years October 3, 2023
- World Bank boosts Sri Lanka economic forecasts after inflation progress October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka President slams western media, says no to international probe October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Bondholder Lawsuit Should Be Put on Hold, U.S. Says October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch new vehicle revenue license system (eRL 2.0) on October 7 October 3, 2023