Supreme Court says ‘yes’ for Presidential third term, says Silva
Posted in Local News
President Mahinda Rajapaksa is eligible to contest a third term, according to the Supreme Court, Minister Nimal Siripala de Silva said in the Parliament short while ago.
President Rajapaksa referred two questions to the SC to get its consideration and for an opinion in order to elucidate whether he has any impediment to be elected for as further term. Subsequently, in a letter addressed to the Bar Association, the Chief Registrar of the SC has requested Bar Association of Sri Lanka to submit its written submissions with regard to this, on or before 7 November.
- Sri Lanka appointed Special parliamentary committee to probe New Diamond, X-Press Pearl disasters June 6, 2023
- Cabinet approves proposal to reduce Maximum Retail Prices of 60 types of medicine June 6, 2023
- Two officers of Agrarian Service Centre arrested for soliciting a bribe June 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
- India’s first international cruise from Chennai to Sri Lanka to be flagged off today June 5, 2023
- ‘Sandahiru Seya Charity Trust’ donates Dialysis Machine to Anuradhapura Hospital June 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023