Suspect arrested for damaging Buddha statue
Mawanella Police today arrested a man at Hingula, Mawanella for allegedly damaging a Buddha statue, police said.
They said two men were reported to have been involved in the incident and one of the suspects was arrested after he was captured by the villagers.
The suspect, Mohammad Ashfar (30), will be produced in court and police investigations are underway to ascertain whether there was any move to provoke religious tension among the Sinhalese and Muslim communities.
Meanwhile, Minister Kabir Hashim said he condemned the recent acts of violence involving places of worship in Mawanella. “As soon as I heard the recent attacks, I instructed the police to investigate and arrest those responsible.
The two suspects have been apprehended by the authorities and will be subject to the full extent of the law,” he said.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Darshana Sanjeewa)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023