UN chief relieved at resolution of Sri Lanka’s political crisis
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Thursday welcomed the resolution of the political crisis in Sri Lanka through peaceful and constitutional means.
The secretary-general applauded the resilience of the country’s democratic institutions, said his spokesman Stephane Dujarric in a statement.
Guterres called on all political actors in the country to seize the opportunity of the appointment of the new cabinet to resolve outstanding political differences in the same spirit of respect for democracy and in the interests of the people, said the statement.
Sri Lanka plunged into a political turmoil on Oct. 26 when President Maithripala Sirisena sacked Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and replaced him with a strongman.
Wickremesinghe was reinstated as prime minister on Sunday, ending the almost two-month-old crisis.
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya arrested over remarks on Buddhism May 28, 2023
- Veteran Diplomat Jayantha Dhanapala passes away May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka President instructs to install high-tech scanners at BIA VIP terminal May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka to commence Cannabis cultivation project May 26, 2023
- Dr. Shafi Shihabdeen reassigned to Kurunegala Hospital May 26, 2023