Uva PC polls- violence spike in Moneragala, 88 complaints so far
Some 88 election violation complaints have received so far with regard to the Uva Provincial Council polls, Campaign for Free and Fair Elections (CaFFE) says.
Some 63 complaints were reported from Moneragala district while 19 complaints were reported from Badulla district. There are six complaints common to both districts.
CaFFE says “In the last few days there has been a spike in election related violence in Moneragala and the widespread use of firearms is a great concern.
CaFFE has written to the commissioner of elections and the IGP to take immediate steps to enforce election laws in the province,”
With only weeks remaining to the Uva election, in 24-hours time, 18 opposition election campaign offices in Moneragala district were attacked, and destroyed, bringing the total number of election violation complaints to 74, yesterday.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Litro gas prices increased from tonight (October 04) October 4, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Health Minister says people seeking treatment at government hospitals have increased by 40% October 4, 2023
- Court dismisses misappropriation case against Ajith Nivard Cabraal and Lalith Weeratunga October 4, 2023
- Sanath Nishantha to pay electric bills of SLPP low-income families October 4, 2023
- Chairman of CEYPETCO and CPSTL Uvais Mohamed resigns October 4, 2023