Vaiko making sentencing of fishermen a political issue – BJP
BJP’s Tamil Nadu unit today hit out at MDMK chief Vaiko for making sentencing to death of five fishermen in Sri Lanka a political issue when the Centre was taking legal steps to get them released.
“The Centre is taking legal steps to seek the release of five Tamil fishermen, facing death sentence in Sri Lanka. despite knowing the legalities of the issue, MDMK general secretary Vaiko is making the issue a political one, which is condemnable,” party state president Dr Tamilisai Soundararajan told reporters here.
The party will not not tolerate Vaiko weighing Congress and BJP alike, she said.
The BJP leader said when the Centre has reduced prices of petrol and diesel,Tamil Nadu government had increased price of milk and hiked power tariff and added that the party would oppose the electricity increase ‘tooth and nail.
She also pitied the situation where political parties had to knock at the doors of courts to get permission to take out rallies. – PTI
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Countrywide power outage in Sri Lanka due to a system failure December 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka to implement another electricity tariff revision in January 2024 December 9, 2023
- ‘Kush’ worth Rs. 100 Million seized in luggage left behind at Bandaranaike International Airport December 9, 2023
- Air Arabia launches direct flights to Sri Lanka from Abu Dhabi December 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy promotes 1,877 personnel on its 73rd anniversary December 9, 2023