165 dairy cows killed due to extreme cold in Sri Lanka
At least 165 dairy cows were reported dead in Kilinochchi, Sri Lanka due to the extreme cold weather that gripped the island over the past few days, area residents said.
According to residents, calves and cows that could not bear the cold caused by the inclement weather had died while they were kept inside their sheds.
The Kilinochchi Disaster Management Centre said that temperature drops as low as 17 degrees were recorded over the past few days.
The Disaster Management Centre added that the number of animals killed due to the extreme weather conditions could be higher.
(Courtesy: Daily Mirror)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023