2 Sri Lankans arrested for smuggling gold in Mumbai
Posted in Local News
The Indian Air Intelligence Unit (AIU) of Mumbai customs on Sunday arrested two Sri Lankan passengers for smuggling 25 gold bars from Dubai.
42-year-old Jameer Abdul Wahid and 48-year-old Althaf Sahul Hameed arrived from Dubai by the Emirates Airlines flight EK508 and were intercepted in the arrival hall of Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport.
Their personal search resulted in the recovery of 25 gold bars weighing 2915 grams valued at Rs. 87,45,000. The said gold bars were concealed in the rectum of their body.
They are frequent fliers to India and are in trading activities in textile material, readymade garments and cosmetics.
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank warns general public over 8 pyramid-type schemes May 31, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar May 31, 2023
- Chinese reaffirms support for Sri Lanka’s economic recovery May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank to hold rates as inflation stays high May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023