22 more die of COVID-19: Death toll increases to 786
The COVID-19 death toll in Sri Lanka climbed to 786 with 22 more deaths being confirmed by the Director-General of Health Services, the Government Information Department said.
According to the media release issued by the Department of Government Information, the victims had succumbed to the virus infection between the period of May 02 – May 08.
The deaths were reported from Ragama, Kadawatha, Mulleriyawa, Thalawathugoda, Moratuwa, Lunuketiyamadiththa, Padiyapelella, Colombo 08, Bulathkohupitiya, Hunnasgiriya, Katugastota, Halgranoya, Horampella, Ganemulla, Gurudeniya, Bibila, Agalawatta, Walahanduwa, Poddala, Galagedara and Gannoruwa areas.
Sixteen of the victims were aged between 60-70 years while four others were aged over 80 years. The remaining two were aged 57 and 58 years.
COVID pneumonia was identified as a cause of death of the majority of the victims. Some had suffered from sepsis, heart disease, acute kidney injury, diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidemia, acute coronary syndrome and bronchitis as well.
- Sri Lanka signs agreement with RM Parks Inc to ensure uninterrupted fuel supply June 8, 2023
- Police secures court order to block NPP protest planned for today June 8, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka to face rape trial in Australia June 8, 2023
- Digital Promotion Agency to be established for introducing new App to collect data of public sector – President June 8, 2023
- SriLankan CEO believes ‘worst is over’, expects $50 Million profit next year June 7, 2023