800 cases of cyber crimes in 9 months
The Sri Lanka Computer Emergency Readiness Team (SLCERT), yesterday said approximately 800 cyber related crimes were reported in the last nine months alone.
Spokesperson of SLCERT, Roshan Chandragupta, said 90% of the reported cyber crimes are related to Facebook and the most serious type of crimes reported are in connection with internet banking. Explaining further, Chandragupta said, organized groups acquire account details and PIN (Personal Identification Number) of individuals by pretending to be internet bank service providers and defraud money in bank accounts.
While informing that there is a separate unit where the victims can inform incidents of cyber crimes, including website and Facebook hackers, he added that anyone can make a complaint to such crimes to hotline 0112-691 692.
(Courtesy: Ceylon Today)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023