Adverse weather affects over 170,000 people in Sri Lanka
Posted in Local News
Disaster Management Centre (DMC) says as many as 170,022 people of 41,717 families were affected in several districts of the country due to adverse weather conditions.
According to reports, Gampaha, Ratnapura, Colombo, Puttalam, Kalutara, Nuwara-Eliya and Kegalle districts have been hit hard by torrential rains.
Seven lives were claimed by the inclement weather so far, seven others are reported missing and two persons have sustained injuries, the DMC added.
The DMC urges the members of the public to remain alert to the warnings issued by the authorities.
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka must protect the right to freedom of expression June 9, 2023
- Five-year-old child found dead with cut injuries from a construction site in Mulleriyawa June 9, 2023