Ampara to be run by Muslims – JHU
The JHU yesterday condemned the SLMC over its suggestion that the districts be divided on ethnic and religious lines. SLMC had suggested to government that they establish a separate Muslim administration in the Ampara District, as the majority in that district are Muslims.
Commenting, the JHU said that carrying out such a request would separate the Muslims from the rest of the people in the country, being a separatist and extremist move.
Meanwhile, the National Sangha Council’s Rajawatte Wappa Thera, who addressed a meeting in Colombo Tuesday (4) said, “This is a small country and it cannot be divided on the basis of ethnicity or religion, according to the whims and fancies of certain parties. We cannot tear the country to pieces so that one person can secure his power, it is the greatest harm one can do to the country.”
He therefore, asked the defence establishment and the government to pay special attention to such demands and stop the likelihood of the country being fragmented. “We ask that they save the country from such a disaster,” the Thera said.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Keheliya Rambukwella further remanded until March 14, 2024 February 29, 2024
- Supreme Court invalidates Cabinet decision granting Paget road residence to Maithripala Sirisena February 29, 2024
- Nagananda Kodituwakku barred from practicing as Attorney-at-Law February 29, 2024
- Sri Lanka President highlights country’s Indian ocean security commitment at Pathfinder Conference February 29, 2024
- 36 persons injured in a bus accident in Monaragala February 29, 2024