Asin gets notice for loss of vision to Sri Lankans
Oct. 28:A legal notice has been sent to film star Asin of Ghajini fame, holding her responsible for vision impairment to 10 Tamils in Sri Lanka and claiming compensation on their behalf. HMK state youth wing general-secretary Gurumurthy, in his notice through advocate Balamurugan to the actor’s residence in Kochi, referred to earlier media reports and claimed that Asin had visited the island nation recently for the shooting of her movie Ready co-starring Salman Khan for “personal gain and publicity” against the advice of Kollywood and Tamils here.
The notice stated that Asin, according to media reports, had claimed that she had floated a separate trust and subsequently funded eye surgeries for 300 war-affected Sri Lankan Tamils during her visit and she would fund 10,000 more surgeries in the future. Mr Gurumurthy stated that 10 Tamils had lost their vision and dozens of others developed complications after their surgeries.
Claiming that Asin and the medical team were solely responsible for the botched eye surgeries, the HMK member demanded a public apology from the actor for offending the sentiments of Tamils and asked for adequate compensation for the affected people within a week from the date of receiving the notice, failing which she would face legal action.
“Your carelessness and negligent attitude caused innocent Tamils to lose their eyesight,” Mr Gurumurthy alleged. The actor has been caught in a whirlpool of controversies of late courtesy of her visit to the island nation. Several pro-Tamil groups and particularly the producers’ council and Film Artistes’ Association of Tamil Nadu expressed strong reservations about her visit to Lanka and even called for a boycott of her movies.
Courtesy: Deccan Chronicle
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023