Azath Salley released
Former CMC member and National Unity Alliance General Secretary Azath Salley, who was receiving treatment at the Colombo National Hospital under CID custody, was released today.
He has been released unconditionally and has been transferred to a private hospital in Colombo, a family member of the politician told Ada Derana.
Salley was arrested on May 02 by the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) and investigated for allegedly threatened the peace of the country and unity among racial groups within the country, through statements made to electronic and print media.
His arrest under the Prevention of Terrorism Act (PTA) in connection with a statement made to the Indian publication ‘Junior Vikatan’ on April 24, 2013 had stirred controversy within the country with opposition parties condemning the act as “political revenge” by the government.
Salley had launched a hunger strike while in custody and was hospitalized on several occasions due to refusing meals and medication.
Director General of the Media Centre for National Security, Lakshman Hulugalla had said during a press conference that the CID are investigating 18 complaints including the statements allegedly made by Salley in Tamil Nadu and an alleged financial fraud.
(Courtesy: Ada Derana)
- MP Gajendrakumar Ponnambalam arrested in Colombo June 7, 2023
- Yohani de Silva gets ‘Golden Visa’ from Dubai June 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka-born woman in UK becomes youngest ever non-white Crown Court judge June 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka appointed Special parliamentary committee to probe New Diamond, X-Press Pearl disasters June 6, 2023
- Cabinet approves proposal to reduce Maximum Retail Prices of 60 types of medicine June 6, 2023
- Two officers of Agrarian Service Centre arrested for soliciting a bribe June 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
dan eliyata gihin kiyawanna epa, epadune merenne me maubime sir
A true patriot.
Prepared to show the discrimination shown to his community,and prepared to face the consequences, unlike the other dogs and cowards.
People need to face and confront these Mafiosos and racists, that is dividing and destroying the country.
They have made Sri Lanka, the Mara Pariah nation.
Asath Sally, Hats off to you, true Patriot.
Awadiyaw, Awadiyaw, Awadiyaw.
Well said. You hit the nail on the head! Others are keeping quiet in fear of the white van!