Bandarawela HQI transferred over election day clash
Bandarawela Police Headquarters Inspector (HQI), SK Karunasena, has been transferred to Colombo with immediate effect for negligence of duty after he failed to prevent a clash inside the police station premises on the Election Day.
Karunasena has been stripped of his post as officer-in-charge (OIC) and transferred to the Police Field Force Headquarters, Bambalapitiya.
Police said that a disciplinary inquiry will be instigated against the Inspector.
United National Party (UNP) Mayor of the Bandarawela Municipal Council Chaminda Wijesiri had lodged a complaint alleging that he was attacked by UPFA Puttalam District MP Arundika Fernando and his supporters.
The Mayor said he was attacked by the MP inside the Bandarawela police station when he went to lodge a complaint after a clash with another UPFA politician on Election Day (September 20).
The Mayor of Bandarawela was admitted to the Diyatalawa hospital and had reportedly suffered bruises as a result of the altercation. He was later transferred to the Badulla base hospital.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- World’s leading tech companies deeply criticize Sri Lanka’s Online Safety Bill October 2, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government says No more emergency purchases of medicines October 2, 2023
- IMF unveils 16-point plan to address governance challenges in Sri Lanka October 2, 2023
- Corrupt elements use Parliament, Finance Ministry to evade taxes October 2, 2023
- CEYPETCO and Lanka IOC increases fuel prices October 1, 2023