Burqa ban still under discussion – Rambukwella
Co-Cabinet Spokesman Keheliya Rambukwella, yesterday (24), said the proposal to ban the wearing of the Burqa is still being discussed in Cabinet.
During a weekly Cabinet Media briefing at the Department of Government Information, Rambukwella said, within the 16 countries where the Burqa ban was being implemented, 13 were Muslim Nations, and charged that certain groups with vested interests had used the issue to gain political mileage.
He added, the decision would be taken to ensure the safety of the country and its citizenry after thorough consideration. People should not meddle with such decisions based on political and religious grounds, he added.
(Source: Ceylon Today – By Sawani Sheshadi)
- Nathasha Edirisooriya arrested over remarks on Buddhism May 28, 2023
- Veteran Diplomat Jayantha Dhanapala passes away May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka President instructs to install high-tech scanners at BIA VIP terminal May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka to commence Cannabis cultivation project May 26, 2023
- Dr. Shafi Shihabdeen reassigned to Kurunegala Hospital May 26, 2023
- Dasun Shanaka hasn’t lived up to even 1% of expectations in IPL – Virender Sehwag May 26, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar May 26, 2023