Buwaneka Aluwihare takes oath as Acting Chief Justice before President
Supreme Court Justice Buwaneka Pandukabaya Aluwihare has taken oath as the Acting Chief Justice before Sri Lankan President Ranil Wickremesinghe.
He took oaths at the Presidential Secretariat in the morning today (October 09).
Secretary to the President Saman Ekanayake also participated in the event.
The President’s Media Division said Justice Buwaneka Aluwihare will function as the Acting Chief Justice until the 13th of October.
Chief Justice Jayantha Jayasuriya is currently overseas and will return to the country on the 13th of this month.
The appointment was ratified by the Parliamentary Council following recommendations by the President.
The Parliamentary Council ratified the appointment when it convened under the patronage of Speaker of house Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023