CAA sets new Maximum Retail Prices for six essential items
Sri Lanka’s Consumer Affairs Authority had set new Maximum Retail Prices (MRP) for six new essential consumer items with immediate effect, Industry and Commerce Minister Rishad Bathiudeen said.
“The new maximum prices are introduced to safeguard consumers from sudden market price hikes, especially in the forthcoming festival season,” the Minister said.
He added that prices of five essential items have not been changed, while Maximum Retail Prices (MRPs) have been introduced to six essential items for the first time.
“Small price increments are introduced to only three other items to prevent massive price hikes (of them) by errant traders” stressed Minister Bathiudeen.
Accordingly, the six essential items to which Maximum Retail Prices (MRPs) have been introduced for the first time are Masoor Dhal (MRP Rs. 190 per kilo), Potatoes (MRP Rs. 145 per kilo), Big Onion (MRP Rs. 155 per kilo), Chicken Meat (whole chicken- Without skin-MRP Rs 480 per kilo), Packed Wheat Flour (MRP Rs. 95 per kilo) and Dried Chillies (MRP Rs. 355 per kilo).
The five essential items whose prices have not been changed and remains the same (as previously gazetted) are unpacked white sugar (Gazetted price, still at Rs. 87 per kilo), packed white sugar (Gazetted price still at Rs 95 per kilo), unpacked wheat flour (Gazetted price, still at Rs. 87 per kilo), canned fish net weight 425g-drained weight 280g (Gazetted price, still at Rs. 140), and canned fish nett weight 155g-drained weight 105g (Gazetted price, still at Rs 70).
Three other items for which small price increments are introduced are: Chicken meat whole chicken with skin (Increased by Rs. 20 from Gazetted price of Rs. 380 per kilo to Rs 400), imported, unpacked dried sprats (Increased by Rs. 25 from Gazetted price of Rs. 385 per kilo to Rs 410), and imported, packed dried sprats (increased by Rs. 5 from Gazetted price of Rs 425 per kilo to Rs. 430).
(Government News Portal)
- Litro LP Gas prices in Sri Lanka reduced from today (June 04) June 4, 2023
- Odisha train collision: Sri Lanka President expresses deep sorrow, assures support June 4, 2023
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023