Cabinet approval granted for export of Wallapatta
The cabinet approval was granted to the proposal made by President Maithripala Sirisena as the Mahaweli Development and Environment Minister to promote the exportation of Gyrinopswalla (Wallapatta) plant and cultivate the plant based on its commercial value, Cabinet spokesman and Minister Rajitha Senaratne said yesterday.
Minister Senarathne said an official would be appointed to issue a permit to allow the possession and transportation of the plant.
He said President Maithripala Sirisena as the Mahaweli Development and Environment Minister had submitted a cabinet paper in this regard following the methods prepared with the agreement of the officials of Forest Conservation Department and Wildlife Conservation and Biodiversity Secretariat.
Gyrinopswalla plant was included in the red list prepared in 2012.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Customs seizes Drugs worth over Rs. 60 Million December 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- Three Sri Lankans, including Ranish Hewage serving in the Ukraine Army killed in Russian attack December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023