CID arrests Ven. Dhammaloka Thero
The Criminal Investigations Department (CID) today arrested the Ven. Uduwe Dhammaloka Thero on charges of illegally keeping a baby elephant in his possession.
The Thera was arrested after obtaining a statement with respect to the case at the Alan Mathiniyaramaya temple in Polhengoda.
Earlier the Thera had filed a fundamental rights petition in the Supreme Court seeking an Interim Order preventing the police from arresting him.
Dhammaloka Thera added that he only came to know about the allegations against him through information in the internet. The Thera said that the elephant calf in question was found left behind following a ‘Pinkama’ held at the temple with the participation of 20-30 elephants.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023