CID Police Sergeant arrested for taking bribes
A Police Sergeant attached to the Criminal Investigations Department has been arrested by Bribery Commission officers on charges of accepting a bribe of Rs. 80,000 from a businessman at Gonawala in Kelaniya.
The CID officer in question has reportedly told a businessman that a case could be filed against him over a cheque fraud committees by an intermediary acquainted to him.
This intermediary has been a tie-up between the said businessman and the company from where he makes purchases.
Hence, the CID officer has solicited a bribe of Rs 100,000 from the businessman to prevent a case being filed against him.
He had received Rs 20,000 of the bribe on a previous occasion and was arrested yesterday while accepting the rest of the promised bribe.
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023