CID Police Sergeant arrested for taking bribes
A Police Sergeant attached to the Criminal Investigations Department has been arrested by Bribery Commission officers on charges of accepting a bribe of Rs. 80,000 from a businessman at Gonawala in Kelaniya.
The CID officer in question has reportedly told a businessman that a case could be filed against him over a cheque fraud committees by an intermediary acquainted to him.
This intermediary has been a tie-up between the said businessman and the company from where he makes purchases.
Hence, the CID officer has solicited a bribe of Rs 100,000 from the businessman to prevent a case being filed against him.
He had received Rs 20,000 of the bribe on a previous occasion and was arrested yesterday while accepting the rest of the promised bribe.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Countrywide power outage in Sri Lanka due to a system failure December 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka to implement another electricity tariff revision in January 2024 December 9, 2023
- ‘Kush’ worth Rs. 100 Million seized in luggage left behind at Bandaranaike International Airport December 9, 2023
- Air Arabia launches direct flights to Sri Lanka from Abu Dhabi December 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy promotes 1,877 personnel on its 73rd anniversary December 9, 2023