Colombo citizens have taken their individual decisions – Moragoda
UPFA candidate for Colombo Milinda Moragoda while thanking those Colombo residents and well-wishers who placed their trust in him observed that the “incomplete nature of the mandate given by the people of Colombo shows there is no agreement on policies that would take us forward.
Issuing a release Moragoda said: The election results have come in. The citizens of Colombo have taken their individual decisions.
I speak directly to those residents in Colombo who voted for me as well as to all my other well-wishers who understand and share my beliefs and vision for our society. I would like to thank you for putting your trust in me.
‘We may not have ended up where we hoped to be, but I believe we have taken another step towards changing the political culture in our society. We tried to the best of our abilities to keep the focus on the serious issues and challenges that face our city, on the need to bring our city together across ethnic, religious, class and political lines, and on the importance of the participation of citizen from all sections of society in the political process. Building bridges is not an easy task and is one that takes time.
‘The incomplete nature of the mandate given by the people of Colombo shows there is no agreement on policies that would take us forward. It reflects not only the polarization between our city and the surrounding countryside, but also the lack of trust between different groups that I have often spoken about.
‘As always, I will continue to try to build bridges between communities and work towards bringing about a positive change in our political culture.
Courtesy: Daily News
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023