Constitutional Council to convene today
Posted in Local News
The Constitutional Council will convene today under the patronage of Speaker of House Karu Jayasuriya at 11 am at the Parliamentary complex.
The Office of the Speaker said the appointment of judges to the Court of Appeal will be subject to discussion during the session of the Constitutional Council.
The Speaker, Prime Minister, Leader of the Opposition and seven others are a part of the Council.
Parliament sources claim that Parliamentarian Sajith Premadasa, who has been named as the new Leader of the Opposition, will not attend the meeting as the official announcement of his appointment has not been made in Parliament by the Speaker.
(Source: News Radio)
- Police secures court order to block NPP protest planned for today June 8, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka to face rape trial in Australia June 8, 2023
- Digital Promotion Agency to be established for introducing new App to collect data of public sector – President June 8, 2023
- SriLankan CEO believes ‘worst is over’, expects $50 Million profit next year June 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s official reserve assets increase by 26.2% in May June 7, 2023
Why should this Constitutional Council meet?
It is not recognised by the current King whose ambition is to burn 19A with a 2/3rd Sinhala Buddhist majority vote in the Apr 2020 parliamentary elections.