Country needs new Constitution – Minister GL
Education Minister Prof. G. L. Peiris said that the Government sees the need to study the Constitution in depth and draft a comprehensive new Constitution as a matter of urgency.
He pointed out that the present Constitution was drafted 43 years ago and it is obsolete as Sri Lankan society has changed significantly during those four and a half decades.
“As a first step, the Government has appointed a nine-member Expert Committee headed by President’s Counsel Romesh de Silva to submit nominations,” the minister said.
The Report of the Committee is expected to be submitted to the Government before June.
Minister Peiris was speaking at a special media briefing held of the Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP) at the Waters Edge Hotel in Battaramulla yesterday (05).
He also pointed out that the people hope for a complete revision of the Electoral System.
The Minister said that a 15-member Committee will be set up with the participation of all political parties represented in Parliament to conduct a full investigation into all the electoral laws affecting the country’s elections and submit a report to Parliament on the necessary amendments.
The Minister said that there is widespread belief in Sri Lankan society that the Preferential System should be rejected and a new system should be created instead.
(Source: Daily News – By Rakshana Shriyantha)
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
The country needs a new Constitution which enshrines the role Prof GLP as the leagal Advisor for life.
Yes, Yes, Professor,
New constitution, we need that to travel down the ‘Prosperity and Splendor’ pathway.
Make sure it has no holes that can be used by Pambaya to install new Govt’s under the cover of the night.