Country precious like gold – President
President Mahinda Rajapaksa requested the Tamil community in the Northern Province to keep faith in the motherland as the gold they owned that was returned to them yesterday (04th December).
He made this observation at a ceremony to handover jewellery which were deposited in LTTE banks to about 2,000 people from the North. They arrived in four special trains from Jaffna to attend the ceremony held at Temple Trees yesterday.
President Rajapaksa said he instructed the authorities to find the genuine owners of the jewellery and hand the items back to the owners as he believed that they be given to the owners since the jewellery was purchased with great difficulty. President Rajapaksa said the military operation was launched only to defeat terrorism and not against the Tamil people. The President said within four years after the eradication of terrorism, roads, schools, hospitals, railway lines, electricity, 96 Mahindodaya laboratories to schools etc were provided investing two or three fold funds to one province in the North as the government believed that all provinces should be equally developed.
He said the development programs are being carried out for the people of the North and their children.
President Rajapaksa said members of the security forces are friends of the people in the North.
He said if security forces personnel did not render their service the Northern and Eastern Provinces, services in the province would not have been developed so soon.
The President said members of demining groups that arrived in the country after the elimination of terrorism predicted it would take to 10 to 15 years to complete the demining program. “As it would take such a long period to commence the development programs in the North and East, the government decided to deploy security forces in the demining program. The program was completed within a short period.
Traditional Industries and Small Enterprise Development Minister Douglas Devananda Secretary Defence and Urban Development Mr. Gotabaya Rajapaksa Commander of the Army and large gathering of jewellery owners were present at the event.
(Ministry of Defence)
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka must protect the right to freedom of expression June 9, 2023
- Five-year-old child found dead with cut injuries from a construction site in Mulleriyawa June 9, 2023
You have done a good job after starting with a 30 years old war that destroyed the national wealth and the GDP. Under your reign, in addition to ending a 30 years old war, SL had gone up (towards less corrupted end) by 6 points and achieved better Fitch rating. Both are indexes almost all the countries in the world strive to be on a good point.
His Excellency, Mahinda Rajapakse, is, what I call, a GOOD man.
He has a heart of gold.
Those who think the Maithreepala Bodhisatva will be a Good leader will be disappointed.
Maithreepala is a bleating goat, dancing to the tune of vested interests.
You destroyed foreign service, legal system, media freedom and earned lots of money through corruption.
You don’t feel the value of money in the country and waste for foreign trips and unnecessary high way constructions increasing per capita foreign debts.
This time people will teach you a good lesson.
Hello Dr.Dayan Jayathilaka,
According to your analysis Rajapakse has already the advantage of winning. But being a layman not apolitical scientist like you, my analysis is opposite to yours.
In 2010 Rajapaske received 58 lahks while Sarath Fonseka did 40 lahks just after finishing 30 years war. At the time citizens were thrilled enormously and voted for Rajapakse . People wanted to be grateful to government.
There are clear indicators and issues that Maithreepla will get another 10 lahks to reach 50 lahks. They are
1. Now citizens have understood the fraud, corruption, mismanagement, and collapse of the legal system.
2. Mainly Sinahala society has developed mistrust on Rajapaske regime including split factions of LSSP and Sri Lanka Communist party.
3. Tamil alliance and Muslim votes are also towards opposition. ( now Bodubala sena is in a helpless (actually very sad) situation that they can’t say they support Mahinda Rajapakse)
4. Rajapakse regime is developing serious conflicts with media and promoting cut-outs which indicates their degree of fierce.
5. Hela-urumaya will influence greatly on urban Buddhist votes.
6. Bodubala sena has pushed Muslim votes towards anti-government direction irrespective of whatever political leadership such as Muslim congress.
7. Chandrika Kumarathunga and Maithrepaala faction would address very traditional SLFP votes.
8. Some votes even with Mahinda faction such as followers of Minister Janaka bandara Thennakoon and Hinurika Preamachandra will vote Maithreepala. Hirunika clearly said Maithreepala uncle and Rajitha uncle are very honest people.For example people count me as a vote and activist for Mihinda Rajapaske but I will vote for Maithreepala. We have many people in our group.
9. Tamil alliance will get majority of Tamil votes.
Dr.Jayathilaka, Do you think all these issue don’t accrue 10 lahks of votes? You just say something as you feel; it is not an analysis at all.
Therefore, our best understanding is Maithreepala will develop from 40 lahks to 50 very easily recording a clear winning, no doubt.
So your analysis will be in dustbin on January 9.
Only the idiots see only one side of something they choose to see. Construction of highways of course going to increase the per capita foreign debt. It is also true highways can not be built yard by yard each year, until MR started road building, SL had a pathetic road system that too many hours to go hundred miles, better roads allows people to do better business, allow perishable goods like fish, vegetable and fruits to reach buyers faster, more tourists come to SL since they can travel easily and SAFELY, thus bringing foreign currency, people do not have to find residence around Colombo any more, since they can travel from far in a shorter time and above all highways allow the army to reach terrorists anywhere in the country faster before they construct reinforced bunkers above and underground. 30 years war caused a bigger per capita debt than highway building.
RW & CBK both had chances before MR to do what they can for (1) developing or (2) prevention of terrorism & (3) prevention of corruption. Both of them FAILED MISERABLY & did nothing good even for themselves. You might face such miserable periode again, if you select their group again. MR has archived above 2 of 3, some development & preventing terrorism. Corruption was their since before & RW / CBK both failed themselves to refrain from corruption. Also they’re puppet dancers of west but MR is independent confident leader though share corruption. Even the lord Buddha’s time, King Kosala took money from misbelievers to let them build a church near Jethawanarama temple disturbing Buddhists. If you wish better leader than MR, then you must have better one than him. But for now here the other option is not better than him. Sometimes the known devil is better than unknown god..