Sri Lankan on death row pardoned in Saudi Arabia
A Sri Lankan man on the death row was pardoned by the father of a young Saudi man run over by the expatriate in Saudi Arabia, foreign media reported today.
The driver had been ordered to pay SR300,000 (Dh300,000) diya (blood money) to the victim’s relatives in return for a pardon but he could not afford it.
“The father went to court and pardoned the man without the need to pay diya…when he was released, the Sri Lankan decided to convert to Islam,” Arar newspaper said in a report from the northwestern town of Qurayyat.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Creditor nations likely to agree on Sri Lanka debt restructuring – report November 29, 2023
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023
- October sees 20% decline in apparel exports from Sri Lanka November 28, 2023