Death penalty from next year: President
Posted in Local News
President Maithripala Sirisena said today the Death Penalty would be introduced from next year with the approval of Parliament.
Addressing the national Drugs and Alcohol Temperance programme held at the main hall of the Galle Municipal Council, he said the decision to introduce the death penalty was taken in the aftermath of the several incidents of rape and the recent killing and sexual abuse of Seya Sandevmi.
“I am in a position to impose the death penalty using the executive powers vested in me. But, I thought that the better option was to discuss it with Parliament before introducing the death penalty,” the President has said.
- Fuel prices revised in Sri Lanka May 31, 2023
- Bruno Divakara arrested May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank warns general public over 8 pyramid-type schemes May 31, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar May 31, 2023
- Chinese reaffirms support for Sri Lanka’s economic recovery May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank to hold rates as inflation stays high May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
The question is who is going to be hanged first? Who is a political threat to you? You will never find a executioner for Mahinda or Gothabaya.
Good Decision Sir, we could have a society without child molesters, rapist and murders, please have no figuration to anyone who breaks the law, above all even drug dealers and retail sellers should be hanged in public so that everyone will see what happens if break the law, public lashing also should be introduced , if we need a clean society these things have to be implemented .
There are loads of leaders n politician to be hang on the inaugural day of instance.some of them are KP, Mahinda,Gota,Karuna, Srivendra silva. These vip’s to be punish initially as very important persons are first. Good idea, Mr. Maithri whether be imposed or not.
Great news Mr. President, we thank you from the bottom of our heart for the remarkable decision. Sir, this kind of punishment certainly need in our country.