Envoys of six nations present credentials to President Rajapaksa
Onlanka News – By Janaka Alahapperuma
(Pix By: Sudath Silva)
Six foreign envoys including five Ambassadors and a High Commissioner, presented their credentials to President Mahinda Rajapaksa at a ceremony which was held at the Presidential Secretariat today on 22 August. The envoys who presented their letters of credence were
1. Mr. Freddy Svane – Ambassador – designate, the Kingdom of Denmark
2. Dr. Nanguyalai Tarzi – Ambassador – designate, the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
3. Mr. Oleksandr Shevchenko – Ambassador – designate, Ukraine
4. Mr. Frank Hans D. Castellanos – Ambassador – designate, the Dominican Republic
5. Mr. Chandradath Singh – High Commissioner – the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago
6. Mr. Alon Ushpiz – Ambassador – designate, the State of Israel
Welcoming the envoys, the President said, “They are all joining their assignments at a time when Sri Lankan economy is at a rapid growth after eliminating thirty years of brutal terrorism. The Government’s rehabilitation, reconciliation, resettlement, reconstruction and development process have achieved a huge amount of progress within short period of time. The President also said Sri Lanka seeks to work with the international community and requested their support to rebuild post war Sri Lanka, which would create an environment for the progress and prosperity of people.
The new envoys pledged to work diligently to strengthen bi-lateral relations as well as their goodwill and assistance for government’s development projects. The credential presentation ceremony was attended by the Minister of External Affairs, Prof G.L. Peiris, Secretary to the President Lalith Weeratunga, Chief of Protocol, Sudantha Ganegamarachchi, senior officials of the Ministry of External Affairs, senior members representing Sri Lanka Security Forces and officials of the missions.