Five including Policeman and foreigners arrested over ATM fraud remanded
Five suspects who were arrested yesterday (January 09) for hacking ATM machines and stealing more than Rs. 10 million in the Southern Province have been remanded till January 23 after being produced before the Baddegama Magistrate’s Court.
The five suspects include the Inspector of Police (IP) of the Meegahathenna Police, 02 Bulgarians, a Canadian and a Sri Lankan, according to police.
The suspects were arrested by the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) last evening in relation to incidents of stealing money from several ATMs of state banks in the Southern Province.
The foreign duo were arrested by the Computer Crime Investigation Division of the CID, while they were staying at a luxury apartment complex in Colombo 06.
Upon searching the apartment complex, officers had recovered various equipment used by them to carry out the racket, including laptops and walkie-talkies.
Meanwhile, the OIC of the administration division of the Meegahathenna Police was also arrested in Amugoda, Pitigala, on suspicion of aiding and abetting the suspects.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023