Former DIG Vaas Gunawardena remanded until July 9
Former DIG Vaas Gunawardena was further remanded until July 9 by the Colombo Magistrate Court after he was arrested in connection with the murder of a businessman in Dompe.
The wife of the former DIG was also asked to appear before court on July 9 for allegedly threatening and intimidating witnesses.
Bambalapitiya-based businessman Mohamed Siyam was abducted and murdered in the Dompe area on May 22.
Following investigations conducted into the incident, the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) on June 06 arrested Sub-Inspector Lakmini Bamunusinghe, attached to the office of the DIG Western Province (North), along with three Police Constables (PCs) serving in the DIG’s special unit.
Upon interrogating the arrested police officers, the CID uncovered information regarding the former DIG’s alleged involvement in the businessman’s murder and recorded a statement from Vaas Gunawardena on the same day.
He was arrested by the CID on June 10 and remanded until June 25 by the Colombo Additional Magistrate A.M. Shabdeen.
Gunawardena was taken from the Colombo National Hospital to the Prison Hospital on June 15 after falling ill while in custody.
He was interdicted by the police on June 18.
(Courtesy: Ada Derana)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023