Gnanasara thera to be released
President Maithripala Sirisena, yesterday, signed documents granting a presidential pardon to Bodu Bala Sena General Secretary Ven Galagodatte Gnanasara Thero, according to sources.
Chief Executive Officer of the BBS Dr Dilanthe Withanage told The Island that they had received information that the President had signed the papers for the release of the monk and sent them to the Ministry of Justice and Prisons Reforms, last evening.
“Most probably Thero would be released around 3 pm today,” Dr Withanage said.
President Sirisena met Gnanasara thero in the Welikade prison on Saturday, on the sidelines of a function to pardon 734 prisoners on the occasion of the Vesak festival.
Gnanasara Thera, who is currently serving a six-year term for contempt of court.
(Source: The Island)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan youths get jobs in Japan under the Special Skilled Worker (SSW) visa category December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka Secures Rs. 20 Billion from Asian Development Bank for Rural Road Renovations December 1, 2023
- Results of 2022 (2023) G.C.E. O/L exam released December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka revises fuel prices from November 30, 2023 November 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka inflation rises for second month on high energy costs November 30, 2023