Gnanasara thera’s appeal hearing today
The Court of Appeal will today consider a request for filing an appeal challenging the six-year sentence pronounced on General Secretary of the Bodu Bala Sena Organisation venerable Galagodaththe Gnanasara thera.
The request for the appeal will be taken up before the two-judge bench comprising of Chairman of the Appeal’s Court, Justice Preethi Padman Surasena and Justice Arjuna Obeyesekera.
Earlier this month, Galagodaththe Gnanasara thera was convicted of four charges over Contempt of Court and sentenced to 19 years of rigorous imprisonment, to be completed in 6 years.
The case was filed against Gnanasara thera on four charges including forcibly entering the Homagama Magistrate’s Court on the 25th of January 2016 during a case being heard over a group of Army Intelligence Unit officials on charges of abducting journalist Prageeth Eknaligoda.
The thera was also charged of threatening and intimidating state officials in Court at the time of the hearing.
(Source: News Radio)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President appoints Deshabandu Tennakoon as acting IGP November 29, 2023
- Creditor nations likely to agree on Sri Lanka debt restructuring – report November 29, 2023
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023