GR files fundamental rights violation petition
Former Defence Secretary, Gotabhaya Rajapaksa yesterday filed a fundamental rights violation petition, alleging an impending illegal arrest. He has requested the court to restrain the respondent state authorities from resorting to such mala fide practice.
He has claimed a likely violation of his personal liberty.
The instructing attorney on this petition is Sanath Wijewardene.
Among the respondents are Ranil Wickremesinghe, Minister of Policy Planning, Prime Minister and forty four others.
The petitioner has requested the court to declare the gazette No. 1901/20, dated February 13, 2015 ultra vires, null and void.
The petition will be supported in court on May 13, 2015.
Rajapaksa has complained to the court against the gazette which established the Financial Crimes Investigation Division. He wants the court to declare that no steps could be taken in terms of the gazette No. 1901/20, dated February 13, 2015. The petitioner has requested the Court to declare that the respondent state authorities have no right to arrest the petitioner.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023