Hi-Corp decision on Feb 28
The Colombo High Court which heard the ‘Hi- Corp’ case against fomer Army Commander Sarath Fonseka reserved its judgement to February 28 short while ago. When the case was taken up before Colombo High Court Judge Sunil Rajapakshe, the Defence on behalf of theformer Army Commander submitted that the case before the courts was the same case heard during the second court martial.
They submitted that since the accused was convicted during the court martial for the same offence, the general law dictums prevent the accused from being punished for the same offence twice and therefore the accused should be absolved from the case heard in the high court. The judge then said that a judgement would be delivered as to if the case could be heard for a second time in civil courts on February 28.
Courtesy: DM Online
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023