India releases 28 Lankan fishermen
Posted in Local News
A group of Sri Lankan fishermen detained by Indian security officials for trespassing into their waters have been released, a Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Ministry spokesman said.
According to a Fisheries Ministry spokesman, 28 Sri Lankan fishermen were released by the Tamil Nadu State Officials.
He said that two fishermen were released on June 12, and 26 others were released
yesterday. Two more Sri Lankan fishermen are in Tamil Nadu awaiting release.
The spokesman added that the India released the Sri Lankan fishermen in appreciation of the gesture shown by President Mahinda Rajapaksa to Tamil Nadu fishermen who had trespassed in to Sri Lankan waters to fish.
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023