India to despatch relief material to Sri Lanka
NEW DELHI: The Indian government will despatch relief material for the flood-affected people of Sri Lanka, and the first consignment will be sent on Friday, Defence Ministry officials said here.
Twenty-five tonnes of relief material, including food, drinking water, sleeping mats, blankets, bed sheets will be sent to Colombo by Friday afternoon.
Indian Air Force transport aircraft, IL76, will carry them in two sorties, with the second scheduled to leave on January 17, the official said, adding that India is responding to Sri Lankan request for assistance.
Besides ready-to-eat meals, the supplies will also include sugar, pulses, milk powder, baby milk formula, salt and other essential seasoning powders and water purifying tablets.
Source: The Hindu – Pix by AP
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- CEYPETCO increases fuel prices October 1, 2023
- Sinopec increases fuel prices in Sri Lanka October 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka introduces insurance scheme for Animals October 1, 2023
- Niluka Karunaratne announces retirement October 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka begins system to issue e-bills for water October 1, 2023