Provide urgent flood relief – President
President Mahinda Rajapaksa yesterday directed State officials to identify the present disaster caused by heavy rain and floods and provide urgent relief to the affected people without restricting themselves to the stipulations of official circulars only.
The Government would always stand by decisions taken by the State officials for the welfare of the common masses. The President said so addressing State officials in the Polonnaruwa district at the Hingurakgoda Ananda Balika Vidyalaya during a fact finding tour in the Polonnaruwa district about welfare activities provided to flood affected people.
The President said it is the ordinary folk who had faced the brunt of the flood havoc and it was the duty of all to join hands and help them at this hour of need without any discrimination or petty considerations.
Ministers Maithripala Sirisena and Mahinda Amaraweera, Deputy Ministers Chandrasiri Sooriyarachchi and Siripala Gamlath, Parliamentarian Roshan Ranasinghe and Secretary to the President Lalith Weeratunga were also present on the occasion.
Source: Daily News
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023