Jananath Warakagoda arrested and remanded over fatal accident
Popular artiste Jananath Warakagoda was arrested and remanded today over an accident in which a 62-year-old woman was killed at Kirillawela.
Police said that the car driven by the 42-year-old musician had hit a woman on the pedestrian crossing in front of the Kirillawala divisional secretariat at around 5.30 a.m. this morning (12).
The victim is a resident of Kadawatha.
Warakagoda was produced in the Mahara Magistrate’s Court and was remanded till March 18.
Jananath Warakagoda is the son of veteran actor couple Wijeratne Warakagoda and Chitra Warakagoda and a renowned percussionist in Sri Lanka.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Person arrested over shooting of elephant “Sita” granted bail September 30, 2023
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023