Kandy unrest: Curfew imposed until tomorrow
Police used teargas to disperse two groups of people who clashed in Digana over a death of a 41-year-old man.
Police Spokesman Ruwan Gunasekara said a group of people had attacked several shops in Digana alleging that a man was assaulted to death.
M.G. Kumarasinghe, a resident of Ambala in Medamahanuwara had been attacked by a group of people in Teldeniya Town over an incident involving two vehicles several days ago.
Police curfew has been imposed within the Kandy Administrative District with immediate effect, Police Spokesman SP Ruwan Gunasekara said.
He stated that the police curfew will be in effect until 6.00am tomorrow (5).
He also stated that the law will be strongly implemented against any individual who violates the law and behaves in an unruly manner.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Countrywide power outage in Sri Lanka due to a system failure December 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka to implement another electricity tariff revision in January 2024 December 9, 2023
- ‘Kush’ worth Rs. 100 Million seized in luggage left behind at Bandaranaike International Airport December 9, 2023
- Air Arabia launches direct flights to Sri Lanka from Abu Dhabi December 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy promotes 1,877 personnel on its 73rd anniversary December 9, 2023