KATUNAYAKE FTZ CLASH: ARRESTED OFFICERS FURTHER REMANDED
The two police officers who are in custody over the clashes at the Katuanayake Free Trade Zone (FTZ) were further remanded yesterday.
This order was issued when the suspects were produced before the Negombo Magistrate’s Court last morning.
The Counsel appearing for the suspects requested the court to ensure that the investigations into the death of a youth during the incident are carried out swiftly.
However, the police requested for ten days to submit evidence.
The Court ordered that investigations into the death be concluded by the 13th of this month and ordered the suspects to be placed under remand custody till then.
Meanwhile, Dhammika Fernando, the Chairman of the Free Trade Zone Manufacturers Association said that after work at the Katunayake FTZ recommenced yesterday and the operations have now returned to normal.
However, there was heavy security seen around the Katunayake FTZ today as well.
SP Prishantha Jayakody said that this security program has been put in place jointly by the Police and the Army.
Courtesy: News First
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka aims to streamline tax structure, boost collections October 4, 2023
- Tharushi Karunarathna wins Gold at Asian Games in China October 4, 2023
- Litro gas prices increased from tonight (October 04) October 4, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Health Minister says people seeking treatment at government hospitals have increased by 40% October 4, 2023
- Court dismisses misappropriation case against Ajith Nivard Cabraal and Lalith Weeratunga October 4, 2023