Lanka UNP MPs go on ‘red alert’ as New Delhi suddenly pushes $ 886000, Committee activated to resolve strife
File Photo by Onlanka News
Sri Lanka’s opposition UNP party MPs are now agitated by a large financial grant suddenly given to party coffers by New Delhi.
The financial endowment is reportedly around $ 886000 (SL Rs. 100 million).
A weekend Sinhala language newspaper “Irudina” alleged that the funds were donated by New Delhi during UNP Leader Mr. Ranil Wickremesinghe’s July 19 tour to India.
The MPs are rattled as to why such a huge sum of money has suddenly been passed to the UNP and are planning to request clarifications from the leadership. Also, they are planning to question the fate of the funds received and ‘where the money went’-to the party fund or to someone’s personal accounts, the newspaper reported.
Mr. Ranil Wickremesinghe began his tour to India on July 19 and returned on July 30. Immediately upon his return to Sri Lanka, Mr Wickremesinghe also travelled to the southern city of Matara to meet the family of UNP member who committed suicide in front the UNP head-quarters. Rienzi Algama (60) of southern Weligama, self immolated himself on July 26 demanding the ‘UNP not to implement the proposed reforms.’
The UNP has now appointed a special four member committee and has begun a dialogue in earnest to resolve the party’s internal rife, party sources said. UNP Chairman Gamini Jayawickreme Perera, Gen Secretary Tissa Attanayake, MPs Joseph Michael Perera and Karu Jayasuriya are the committee members and they have now begun discussions with members, sources said.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Permission not given to Chinese ship to dock, India’s concerns important: Sabry September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka squad named for ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 September 26, 2023
- S&P raises Sri Lanka local currency ratings to ‘CCC+/C’, says outlook stable September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka President expresses dissatisfaction with country’s current education system September 26, 2023
- Chinese model breaks U.S. hegemony: former Sri Lankan diplomat September 26, 2023