Lottery Boards can’t come under Foreign Ministry: Dayasiri
Sports Minister Dayasiri Jayasekera yesterday lashed out at the decision to Gazette Sri Lanka Development Lotteries Board and National Development Lotteries Board under the purview of the Finance Ministry.
Mr. Jayasekera, who is a member of Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) headed by President Maithripala Sirisena, did not mince his words about the decision by his leader.
The President assigned the institutions to four Ministries changed in the recent Cabinet reshuffle.
The Sports Minister said the NLB had remained under the purview of the Finance Ministry since inception 1964.
“It is hilarious to bring it under the control of the Foreign Affairs Ministry. I have no issue here regarding Foreign Affairs Minister Ravi Karunanayake. Yet, it goes against the grain to keep it under the purview of a Ministry assigned to handle external affairs,” he said.
“It is like Buddha Sasana Minister being assigned to handle the fisheries sector,” Mr. Jayasekera said.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Kelum Bandara)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Person arrested over shooting of elephant “Sita” granted bail September 30, 2023
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023